15 August 2010

Close Encounter

Yeah so, me and my family are on a mini vacation this weekend at the beach (compliments of my awesome and oh so sweet Military Uncle). Last night me, my brother, and my Dad all went swimming in the ocean and my Mother stood on the beach taking pictures. I've always been a beach hater but last night was actually ok... I actually got to go swimming this time. So this morning, me and my bro head back to the water and my Mother, again, goes to take pictures. My brother and I wade out into the water, through the culvert, and up onto the sandbar. We stood letting the stomach high waves hit against us. A few feet away there were three fish that kept jumping up out of the water; this really amused the two of us, especially when we could see them riding in the top of a wave. So we're standing there in thigh high water watching the fish when suddenly something to our left catches our eye. We both look over and I see it's a surfer heading out to the bigger waves. It was diving under a smaller wave and I was about to tell my brother to watch it when I hear him yell "Shark!" at me.
....... that's when I realized the "surfer" never came back up out of the water. I look again but the black figure is gone. Now don't think for a second that my brother would have grabbed me up and drug me to shore so I wouldn't get eaten... no, no, no, no. I turn around and he is already half away across the culvert that separates the sand bar from the beach.... leaving me all alone on the sand bar. Thanks bro, love you too ;) So I split and when we both finally make it to the beach we stand and stare out at the water. No sign of a surfer *anywhere*. We look and look but the surfer shark is gone. We've concluded that it had to be a shark because the only other explanation would be that if it were a surfer... then the reason why he never came back up is because he got carried away in a rip tide. So yeah, me and my brother were swimming just a few feet away from a shark this morning... one more thing to scratch off my bucket list ;)
I've always been real interested in sharks and love to learn about them... I figured it was a bull shark because I know they can easily swim in knee deep waters.... but as aggressive as they are I doubt he would have just left... there were me and my brother swimming on his right and a father and his young son swimming to his left. Surely he would have rather had a bite out of us rather then those tiny fish. So it probably wasn't a bull shark... I'll have to research a bit on this later today :) Maybe I can make a post about it later.
~RebelYell  

No comments:

Post a Comment